Saltflat in Bolivia- ” The Border between heaven and earth.”
Humans need dietary salt in order to survive. The production of sea salt has been dated all the way back to prehistoric time. The most convincing fact that salt is critical to life is that the amniotic fluid is salty! And that salt is not processed salt! The history of human civilization is linked to salt. Animals created paths to salt licks, men followed turning trails into roads and settlements would grow beside these roads. As civilizations grew around the world, salt continued to be one of the main items used for trad
Himalayan Pink Salt is one of the purest salts and is as old as the earth. Many believe Himalayan sea salt is the purest salt available. With a history dating back to Earth’s creation, it’s believed to be composed of dried remnants of the original, primal sea. Known as “pink gold,” Himalayan crystal salt contains all of the 84 elements found in your body. :It may cost a little more but is worth the price for its health benefits. Using a small amount of this precious salt daily is sufficient to provide what our body needs.
Added to a natural face scrub, finer crystals help to exfoliate. Pink Himalayan crystal salt is widely believed to help with losing excess fat. Other health benefits include heart health, healthy blood sugar levels, healthy libido, better sleep patterns, preventing rheumatism, preventing gout naturally, and sinus health. Some of the health benefits of Himalayan Pink salt are:
- Avoids Dehydration and Balances Fluids -Water follows salt. If you increase sodium too much, water retention occurs. The opposite is true also: A loss in sodium results in a loss in water, potentially causing dehydration and extreme thirst. By consuming sea salt daily, you maintain sufficient sodium levels helping to balance your sodium-potassium ratios. Sodium and potassium are two electrolytes that work together to ensure proper fluid balance in your body’s cells as well as your blood plasma and extracellular fluid.
- Excellent Electrolyte Source – minimal processing of unrefined sea salt enables it to retain its natural mineral content. Sea salt contains many major electrolytes, like sodium, magnesium, calcium and potassium, absolutely essential to good health. Electrolytes have many important functions — from regulating your heartbeat to allowing your muscles to contract so you can move. Sea salt in moderation can help avoid an electrolyte imbalance, which can cause serious negative symptoms. The electrolytes are vital to the nerves for communication and information processing of the brain cells. This salt assists in the generation of hydroelectric energy in the cells.
- Proper Brain, Muscle and Nervous System Function – Sea salt is essential for proper brain, muscle and nervous system function. Sodium is a regulator of water in your body and required for the transmission of electrical signals in the body. Without this communication system working the brain, muscles and nervous systems are inclined to suffer. Too much or too little sodium causes cellular malfunction.
- Digestive Health Aid and Nutrient Enhancer – Having enough stomach acid helps the body absorb vitamins and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, folate and B12. Consuming a high-quality sea salt regularly can help your body absorb more nutrients from the foods that you eat.
- Promotes healthy pH balance in your cells (particularly your brain cells). Prevents over-acidity in body: The rich minerals eliminate unwanted sodium from the body, extracting excess acidity in the body, especially in the brain. An over-acidic body creates many health problems and an endless list of degenerative diseases.
- Promotes blood sugar health and helps balance out blood sugar in diabetics. Can help reduce the signs of ageing. It alkalizes the body.
- Absorption of food particles through your intestinal tract is enhanced. Himalayan Pink Salt helps with the absorption of vital nutrients in the intestines and helps reduce the chances of forming kidney and gall bladder stones. Not enough salt in the diet can negatively impact digestive health and lead to the body not producing enough hydrochloric acid in your stomach which can seriously throw off the digestive system. Sea salt provides chloride, which is the building block of stomach acid.
- Promote sinus health and supports respiratory health. Pure salt taken before sleep has helped sufferers sleep through the night as it breaks up the irritating mucus, providing much relief.
- Prevent muscle cramps by providing essential minerals to the muscles that prevent muscle cramps. Muscle cramps can be treated or prevented naturally by taking this pink salt.
- Promote bone strength – This salt contains over 80 minerals essential to health and bone building. Sea salts are a great source of minerals and typically contain 60 trace minerals. Himalayan sea salt contains 84 minerals. It’s harder to obtain trace minerals from the foods we eat because of nutrient depleted soil.
- Regulates your sleep supporting deeper and more restful sleep: When pure salt is taken with warm water before bedtime, it promotes a deeper and longer sleep that is both restful and refreshing. Nor does it cause you to wake up and wanting to urinate.
- Supports your libido and builds the immune system. It is believed to help slow the effects of aging and promotes vascular health. It aids healing, providing the rich minerals directly to cells to enhance resistance to infections and bacterial diseases. It helps our body heal quicker when there has been a surgery, sickness, burns, and mental disorders. Bathing wounds in pure salt water does not sting, and helps wounds heal faster and is helpful for gargling or drinking to ease sore throats.
- Helps control saliva: If you drool in your sleep, it could mean that your body is deprived of the right kind of salt, and that you are not drinking enough water. This condition may lead to double chin as your saliva glands work doubly hard to lubricate your insides. Drink more water with pure salt to stop this condition.
- Regulate your blood pressure with sufficient water and potassium intake. If you have high blood pressure, pure salt will bring it down. But if you have low blood pressure, pure salt will bring it up to normal. Only nature has been designed with the ability to do this.
Celtic Sea Salt is comparable to Himalayan crystal salt in its composition and health benefits. Being of a grayish hue, it is naturally harvested in Brittany, France, near the Celtic Sea using a 2,000-year-old Celtic method that is crucial to preserving its life-giving nutrition profile. This salt retains its moisture and is moist to touch, in spite of how you store it. Celtic Sea Salt is powerfully beneficial.
Other sea salt options include
Fleur de S0l: French or Portuguese for “flower of salt,” this sea salt gets its name from the patterns of crystals that resemble flowers. This salt forms as a thin, fragile crust on seawater’s surface as it evaporates. Today it’s most commonly used for cooking as a finishing salt.
Flake Sea Salt can be formed naturally or produced by a variety of methods. Most flake sea salts have thin, flattened crystals that provide more surface area. Pure salt has been shown to normalize blood pressure. Flake sea salt has a saltier taste but lower trace mineral content than other sea salts.
Hawaiian Sea Salt is a traditional Hawaiian salt. Alae is a natural red volcanic clay added to enrich the salt with iron oxide, and it gives the sea salt its distinctive red color. Real Hawaiian salt is pricey and hard to find outside of Hawaii.
Italian Sea Salt: This sea salt is derived from the Mediterranean Sea along the coast of Sicily.
Sea Salt vs. Table Salt
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits. It’s heavily processed to eliminate healthy minerals. It is manufactured by taking natural salt and heating it to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and the chemical composition is completely altered and all nutritional benefits are destroyed.
Generic table salt is about 97.5 percent sodium chloride and a 2.5 percent balance of an array of ingredients. Eighteen food additives are allowed in table salt. This processed “fake” salt puts people at risk of developing cardiovascular events and chronic disease because of elevated blood pressure and arteriosclerosis. Processed “salt” causes your body to retain fluids. People who use these products develop diabetes, gout and obesity more than people who don’t.
Most table salt is iodized and puts people at risk for over-iodization, which has been shown to abnormally enlarge the thyroid gland and cause thyroid problems, such as thyroid-related autoimmune disorders. Excess iodine in the diet can lead to nausea, headaches and unhealthy hormone levels. Table salt is heavily processed in excessive heat that removes 82 out of the 84 minerals in salt, leaving behind only sodium and chloride. Sea salt is a general term that refers to salt derived from the sea. And that is what it is, except that most brands are refined—similar to table salt.
Salts that are not sea salt are derived from underground salt deposits left behind by seawater. Sea salt is produced from the evaporation of current seawater. The evaporation is accomplished by either open-air solar evaporation or by a vacuum evaporation process. Look for unrefined sea salt, which has more of its inherent health properties. Refined sea salt is washed to strip it of its trace minerals. You don’t want a sea salt that lists “sodium chloride” as its main ingredient because this means it’s just as refined as table salt. Beware of additives when purchasing sea salt. Some commercial producers of sea salt include health-hazardous additives in their final product, and certain additives trigger leaky gut.
If a diet is high in sodium, excess water is excreted by the kidneys . Symptoms of too much salt include bloating, lethargy, dehydration, weakness, irritability and muscle twitches. Hypernatremia occurs when there’s an imbalance of sodium and water in your body. This condition is most common in infants who have a low intake of breast milk or of formula not mixed properly, and in older adults, people with diabetes or kidney problems, severe burn patients, people who take diuretics, and those who eat heavily processed diets. Symptoms can include intense thirst, headache, confusion, irritability, restlessness and drowsiness.
Table salt is found in processed and packaged foods and causes many problems. Sea salt in moderate amounts daily is a health booster in multiple ways. Sea salt is also more flavorful. Table salt is refined and extremely unhealthy and toxic. A list of dangers when we consume refined table salt found in commercial cooking and processed foods:
- High blood pressure
- Accelerated aging cellular degeneration
- Respiratory and blood sugar problems
- Aggravates inflammatory issues—rheumatism, asthma, arthritis and gout
- Liver failure, adrenal exhaustion
- Kidney and gallbladder stones
- Heart muscles tire and lacerate, causing fatal heart attack
Generally, you need to use 2/3 of the amount of pure salt vs. table salt. For therapeutic use, increase your water intake. For every quart of water, stir in ¼ teaspoon of pure salt and drink. No, drinking pure salt water does not make you thirsty, only dead table salt makes you thirsty. Put in a pinch of sea salt into your fresh juices and taste the difference.
Cancer patients on a healing program are advised not to take salt. If you have to, take natural sea salt sparingly. Your body requires only very little salt and most foods contain small amounts of sodium that is sufficient for your body with higher amounts in cucumber, celery, tomato, potato and other root vegetables. Adding more salt to your diet is putting more strain to your body that is trying to heal.