Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a fine powder made from fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic animals called diatoms, whose skeletons are made of silica. Silica builds hair, skin and nails. DE has a negative ionic charge and is a very hard substance. The fossils have razor sharp edges that don’t affect humans but can be deadly to parasites and small insects.
It is often used as an activator in blood clotting studies, a thermal insulator, an anti-caking agent and mechanical insecticide. Several grades of diatomaceous are available but many contain added chemicals. Use the food-grade variety.
Some uses For Diatomaceous Earth
- Toothpaste – gets teeth clean, removes stains, reduces sensitivity and puts important minerals like calcium back in teeth. Mix diatomaceous earth with calcium powder, coconut oil and peppermint essential oil and use as regular paste.
- 2. Deodorant – a great alternative to baking soda. It absorbs smells but isn’t as alkaline. Mix cornstarch, coconut oil and diatomaceous earth.
- Healthy Hair – Silica is one of the most important trace elements in our body and crucial for healthy hair, skin and nails, and other bodily functions. Silica increases collagen production for strong bones, thick hair and clear skin. Women taking silica had thicker hair due to increased elasticity and tensile strength. For thick long hair, take one tablespoon of food-grade diatomaceous earth daily.
- Eliminate Head Lice – DE works mechanically to kill lice, absorbing the fat from their protective outer coating and drying them out. Diatomaceous earth is non-toxic, but it’s best to avoid breathing in the dust. Apply powder to hair and massage into the scalp. Let stay overnight. Shampoo out and comb with extra-fine comb. Do once a week for 3 weeks.
- Glowing Skin – Taking silica regularly can prevent damaged skin, and help with eczema, rashes, acne, cuts and scrapes. Diatomaceous earth can be taken internally for skin health or used topically in a facemask or facial scrub. To make a mask, mix the powder with water and apply to the face. Once it dries, wash off. For a scrub, mix ½ tablespoon of liquefied coconut oil with 2 tablespoons of diatomaceous earth. Massage into the face before rinsing.
- Strong Nails – silica can benefit the nails by supplementing the nail bed, improving support and strength. People claim a daily dose of diatomaceous earth can clear up nail fungus.
- Improve Digestion – Taken regularly, DE helps create more regular bowel movements. The increased collagen intake aids your body in absorbing nutrients and flushing out waste.
- Lower Cholesterol – Diatomaceous earth may play a role in bringing cholesterol levels back to the normal range.
- Remove Toxins – diatomaceous earth effectively removes heavy metals from water and carries mercury, lead, pesticide residues and other toxins and heavy metals out of the body. It can absorb some drugs so consult doctor before using.
- Flea & Tick Powder – Diatomaceous earth works well to kill fleas and ticks.
- Add to Cat Litter – DE is odorless, eliminates smells and absorbs twice its weight in liquid.
- Kill Bed Bugs – DE takes out fleas and bed bugs when they are in your bedding, carpets and soft furnishings. Dust areas with a light layer of diatomaceous earth. Leave a few hours or overnight before vacuuming.
- Organic Garden Pesticide – A powerful insecticide used against a variety of garden pests including aphids, ants, mites, earwigs, cockroaches, snails and slugs. DE won’t harm worms or beneficial microorganisms in the soil! Sprinkle powder on affected areas. If it rains reapply.
- 14. For long-term food storage of grains, legumes or other non-perishable food items for long periods of time, diatomaceous earth can rid food stores of bugs without harm. It keeps food dry, prevents mold, and is inexpensive. For a 5-gallon container of grains or legumes, mix in one cup of food grade diatomaceous earth. Rinse before cooking, or leave as is and add some trace minerals to your meal!
- Carpet Powder – adding DE to a few drops of essential oil to baking soda will amp up its effectiveness. It freshen, kill odors, and rids bed bugs or fleas from carpet.
- General Deodorizer – A small container of DE powder in your fridge will neutralize powerful odors. Sprinkle some in your running shoes or the garbage can to remove smells and kill bugs.
- Scouring Powder – Diatomaceous earth is a safe powerful scouring agent.
Take Diatomaceous Earth Internally on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Start with a teaspoon and work your way up to a tablespoon daily. Mix powder with 12 ounces of liquid – water, milk, orange juice or smoothies. Mix well. DE is highly absorbent and may have a dehydrating effect. Counter this by increasing fluid