There are many benefits from using coconut oil. Coconut Oil is affordable, readily available and completely natural and is known to be:1. Anti-bacterial (kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum diseases, and other bacterial infections)
2. Anti-carcinogenic (coconut oil has antimicrobial properties so it may prevent the spread of cancer cells while enhancing the immune system)
3. Anti-fungal (kills fungi and yeast that lead to infection)
4. Anti-inflammatory (appears to have a direct effect in suppressing inflammation and repairing tissue, and it may also contribute by inhibiting harmful intestinal microorganisms that cause chronic inflammation.)
5. Anti-microbial/Infection Fighting (the medium-chain fatty acids and monoglycerides found in coconut oil are the same as those in human mother’s milk, and they have extraordinary antimicrobial properties. By disrupting the lipid structures of microbes, they inactivate them. About half of coconut oil consists of lauric acid. Lauric acid, its metabolite monolaurin and other fatty acids in coconut oil are known to protect against infection from bacteria, viruses, yeast, fungi and parasites. While not having any negative effect on beneficial gut bacteria, coconut oil inactivates undesirable microbes.)
6. An Antioxidant (protects against free-radical formation and damage)
7. Anti-parasitic (fights to rid the body of tapeworms, lice and other parasites)
8. Anti-protozoa (kills giardia, a common protozoan infection of the gut)
9. Anti-retroviral (may reduce the viral load of HIV-AIDS patience)
10. Anti-viral (may kill some viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other viruses)
11. Effective at improving nutrient absorption (easily digestible; makes vitamins and minerals more available to the body)
12. Has no harmful or discomforting side effects
13. Fights Infection
14. Nontoxic to humans and animals
Type of Coconut Oil to Use
Unrefined (virgin or extra-virgin) coconut oil comes from fresh coconuts and has not been changed with heat processes. It is the purest, most natural, least processed form. Unrefined coconut oil retains the most nutritional value and is superior to refined oil. While refined coconut oil is almost as nutritious as unrefined, it loses some of its health properties during the refining process. Avoid hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated coconut oils as the hydrogenation process creates synthetic trans-fats!
Here are a few of the many uses for coconut oil:
1. Appetite Suppressant – the fat in coconut oil triggers the release of a hormone that slows down food movement through the digestive tract. It is the last nutrient to get digested and leave the stomach, supplying you a delayed feeling of satisfaction after eating.
2. Breastfeeding – for breastfeeding moms, consuming at least 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil daily will enrich and increase the milk supply.
3. Bones and Teeth – coconut oil aids in the absorption of calcium and magnesium leading to better development of bones and teeth.
4. Digestion – the saturated fats in coconut oil help control parasites and fungi that cause indigestion and digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. 5. The fat in coconut oil aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
6. Energy Boost – coconut oil boosts energy and endurance making it a great supplement for athletes as well as those needing a quick pick me up.
7. Fitness – coconut oil has been proven to stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat while increasing muscle.
8. Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose making it great for both diabetics and non-diabetics who want to get their blood sugar stabilized before addressing other health issues.
9. Lung Function – increases the fluidity of cell surfaces.
10. Pregnancy – helps prevent gestational diabetes; keeps kidneys functioning; keeps morning sickness in check; and protects a mother-to-be from a host of potentially threatening infections as well as boost her immunity, which is naturally weakened during pregnancy.
11. Prevents oxidation of fatty acids
12. Skin Tone – promotes firmer skin tone and less sagging.
13. Stress Relief – relieve mental fatigue by applying coconut oil to the head in a circular, massaging motion. The natural aroma of coconuts is extremely soothing thus helping to lower your stress level.
14. Vitamin and nutrient absorption – specifically magnesium and calcium.
15. Weight loss – the saturated fats contribute to weight loss and also increases metabolic rate.
16. Coconut Oil for Chronic Health Problems – when taken internally it is known for aiding, preventing, relieving or even curing many health issues
17. Cancer – has been shown to prevent colon and breast cancer in laboratory tests
18. Cholesterol – improves HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) ratio
19. Degenerative Diseases – provides antioxidants to fight free radicals that slow degenerative diseases such as arthritis
20. Diabetes – helps with cravings by stabilizing blood sugar. Eases neuropathies and itching.
21. Kidney Stones – aids in dissolving them
22. Coconut oil supports cell regeneration.
23. Age Spots – applying coconut oil directly to the age spot will help it fade.
24. Snoring Relief – by rubbing a dab of coconut oil in each nostril before bedtime, you will reduce swelling in the membranes of the lining of your nostrils which will stop the snoring.
25. Insect Repellent – mix coconut oil with peppermint oil extract and rub it all over exposed skin. Keeps insects off better than anything with DEET! Tons safer too.